Since 2012 I have sung with Grammy-winning vocal group The Swingles (a.k.a. The Swingle Singers) as their low bass. To date I have performed more than 250 shows with the group in North America, South America, Asia, and across the UK and Europe.
Highlights of my time in The Swingles so far include singing Berio’s Sinfonia at La Scala in Milan and the Royal Festival Hall in London; TV and radio appearances including Songs of Praise, Friday Night is Music Night and Radio 3’s In Tune; recording albums including 2015’s Deep End; and collaborations with some of my favourite artists including Kurt Elling, New York Voices and The Real Group.
I also work as a freelance vocalist and am comfortable in any musical style or setting including jazz and pop function bands, classical choirs and avant-garde ensembles, as well as live backing vocals and studio session work. My range stretches from low bass to high baritone and I’m an experienced improviser and vocal percussionist.
Other groups and projects I’ve sung with include:
- London Voices: as part of this session choir I have sung on the soundtracks of major Hollywood films (Doctor Strange; The Conjuring 2; The Huntsman: Winter’s War), video games (World of Warcraft) and attractions (Frozen Forever at Disneyland Tokyo; Le Rêve at the Wyn Hotel Las Vegas), in scoring sessions at Abbey Road and Air Studios.
- Anna Calvi (2015–16): I was one of a 12-piece choir backing Anna as part of Meltdown festival at the Southbank Centre, including a guest appearance by its curator David Byrne. We have since reprised this programme (with 8-piece choir) at Cardiff’s Festival Of Voice.
- Zig Zag Birds (2011– ): my other band! Sunshine pop originals inspired by the 60s and 70s greats.
- Backstep (2012–14): new music project led by composer Chris Lewis and featuring some incredible vocal talents including Bellatrix, Kwabs and Blythe Pepino from Vaults.
- Edward Randell Quartet (2011– ): jazz group performing a mix of standards and my originals, with London gigs at The Spice of Life and Map Café.
- Les Voice Messengers (2010–12): acclaimed Parisian “vocal big band” touring around France and Europe.
- Chantage (2011–12): London-based choir. Performances including Misa Flamenca with Paco Peña at the Royal Festival Hall.
- Last Minute (2008): featured soloist on BBC One’s Last Choir Standing.
- Oxford University Big Band (2008–9): featured vocalist
- The Oxford Gargoyles (2006–9): my university a cappella group. Performances at New York’s Lincoln Center and the Edinburgh Fringe.