Since 2012 I have sung with Grammy-winning vocal group The Swingles (a.k.a. The Swingle Singers) as their low bass. To date I have performed over 300 shows with the group, in more than 30 countries.
Highlights of my time in The Swingles so far include recording four studio albums, singing Berio’s Sinfonia at La Scala and the Royal Festival Hall, co-writing and singing the end credits song for Alexander Payne’s film Downsizing, and collaborating with some of my favourite artists including Kurt Elling, New York Voices and The Real Group.
I also work as a freelance vocalist and have a breadth of stage and studio experience that includes film sessions, jazz and pop function bands, classical choirs and avant-garde contemporary works. My range stretches from low bass to high baritone and I’m an experienced improviser and vocal percussionist.
Other groups and projects I’ve sung with include:
- London Voices: as part of this session choir I have sung on the soundtracks of major Hollywood films (Doctor Strange; The Conjuring 2; The Huntsman: Winter’s War), video games (World of Warcraft, Star Wars Battlefront II) and attractions (Frozen Forever at Disneyland Tokyo; Le Rêve at the Wyn Hotel Las Vegas), in scoring sessions at Abbey Road and Air Studios.
- Anna Calvi (2015–16): I was one of a 12-piece choir backing Anna as part of Meltdown festival at the Southbank Centre, with a guest appearance by curator David Byrne. We reprised the programme with 8-piece choir at Cardiff’s Festival Of Voice, and a live album of our Meltdown gig was released for Record Store Day 2017.
- Zig Zag Birds (2011– ): my other band! Sunshine pop originals inspired by the 60s and 70s greats. We released our full-length album Cuckoo Heart in 2017.
- Backstep (2012–14): new experimental music project for eight vocalists and beatboxer, led by composer Chris Lewis.
- Edward Randell Quartet (2011–12): my jazz group performing a mix of standards and originals, with London gigs at The Spice of Life and Map Café.
- Les Voice Messengers (2010–12): acclaimed Parisian “vocal big band” touring around France and Europe.
- Chantage (2011–12): London-based choir. Performances including Misa Flamenca with Paco Peña at the Royal Festival Hall.
- Last Minute (2008): featured soloist on BBC One’s Last Choir Standing.
- Oxford University Big Band (2008–9): featured vocalist.
- The Oxford Gargoyles (2006–9): my university a cappella group. Performances at New York’s Lincoln Center and the Edinburgh Fringe.